WHAT'S NEW?
Loading...

NBC Renew/Cancel Watch: 'Telenovela' Likely to be Canceled


Hello everyone, welcome to the NBC Renew/Cancel Watch. Find out if your favorite NBC show is safe from cancellation down below!

KEY
  • Show title (Average adults 18-49 rating to the nearest tenth / Most recent rating)
[F] - Indicates a Friday night show, which will typically have lower-than-average ratings


CANCELED
  • Heroes Reborn (1.3 / 1.0)
  • The Player (0.8 / 0.8)
  • Truth Be Told (0.6 / 0.4) [F]
CERTAIN TO BE CANCELED
  • You, Me and the Apocalypse (0.8 / 0.6)
LIKELY TO BE CANCELED
  • The Mysteries of Laura (1.1 / 1.0)
  • Telenovela (1.0 / 0.9)
  • Undateable (0.8 / 0.8) [F]
ON THE BUBBLE
  • NONE
LIKELY TO BE RENEWED
  • Grimm (0.9 / 0.9) [F]
CERTAIN TO BE RENEWED
  • NONE
RENEWED
  • The Blacklist (1.5 / 1.3)
  • Blindspot (2.3 / 1.9)
  • Chicago Fire (1.8 / 1.6)
  • Chicago Med (1.8 / 1.5)
  • Chicago P.D. (1.6 / 1.6)
  • Law & Order: SVU (1.7 / 1.5)
  • Shades of Blue (1.3 / 1.0)
  • Superstore (1.5 / 1.4)

ANALYSIS

Superstore: Superstore earned a renewal for season two the day after its season one finale. This marks another correct prediction for The TV Ratings Guide!

Telenovela: When Superstore got renewed without Telenovela last week, it was pretty much a death sentence to this Eva Longoria-led sitcom. If Telenovela was ever going to be renewed, its renewal announcement most likely would have been paired with Superstore's renewal announcement. However, two reasons Telenovela isn't labeled as a "certain to be canceled" are because NBC does indeed own this sitcom and they also might want to keep on good terms with Eva Longoria, whom is high-profiled and has developed a variety of shows for the network. Still, in the end, I would not bet on a return for this freshman sitcom.

The Mysteries of Laura: In last week's NBC Renew/Cancel Watch (link here), I included a poll at the very end that asked "Do you think 'Laura' will be renewed or canceled?" To no one's surprise, the results were almost evenly divided. 55.56% of the responders voted "renewed," while the other 44.44% voted "canceled." However, I am still going with the minority for this prediction. I do believe that Laura will end up getting canceled because of the very large amount of shows NBC has already renewed, the fact that NBC doesn't own the show, and because of its shortened, 16-episode order for this season. The only reason NBC renewed Laura back in May last year was because they needed a freshman show to renew in order to save face. This season, NBC has had plenty of new, freshman hits (Blindspot, Chicago Med, Superstore, Shades of Blue...kinda), so The Mysteries of Laura is really no longer needed.

QUESTION OF THE WEEK